Tuesday, January 10, 2006

NBC buys out MS from MSNBC

“NBC will now have an 82 percent stake in the network, with the option to acquire the remaining 18 percent after two years. NBC and Microsoft will continue to share ownership of the network's Web site, MSNBC.com.”

This is particularly disturbing for several reasons. First Bill Gates was the only major player in cable news who was not a Republican. Second, NBC is owned by GE which is nearly completely Republican. In fact, Jack Welsh, former GE Chairman, was personally responsible for the network’s early declaration of Bush as the winner of the 2000 contest. Breaking with tradition, he entered the newsrooms at NBC headquarters and demanded that the network make the announcement of Bush’s victory. Also, MSNBC has developed a somewhat independent voice in recent months, to the point where it’s almost worth watching. Now that GE has complete control of it, we can expect to see that change.

The above link also had information about cable news ratings that you might find interesting.

6 Thoughts:

Anonymous z said...

I was thinking that Bill Gates and Richard Branson should get together and start a new network and call it AntiFox. They could hire all the truly ethical journalists who are sick of working for corporate interests.

CNN has lost tons of viewers to MSNBC over the last couple of years. If MSNBC decides to head in the same direction as CNN there will be many viewers left without a MSM news source. I'm sure AntiFox would fill the void perfectly! I think I'll write Bill and Richy a letter!

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ted Turner ... republican???

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:06:00 PM  
Blogger Demotiki said...

What does Ted Turner have to do with the price of cheese in China? He's an "ex-owner" of a rather right-wing network. The fact that he holds a few shares in the mothership is completely irrelevant now, he hasn't got any pull and certainly no control.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Northern Exposure DVD said...

Northern Exposure DVD - The cold and quirks continue in Cicely, Alaska with all 23 unforgettable, highly acclaimed episodes of Northern Exposure. Get your Northern Exposure DVD at http://www.great-tv-shows.com/northernExposure2nd/

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:24:00 PM  
Blogger Demotiki said...

What is going on with adds like "Northern Exposure?"

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:30:00 AM  
Blogger pawlr said...

I guess the word verification is effective only up to a point...

Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home