Friday, December 09, 2005

Pharmacists Placed on Unpaid Leave for Refusing to Provide Equal Access to Health Care for Women

Four Walgreen pharmacists in Illinois have been fired for refusing to provide some medications to women. The law in IL is quite clear that pharmacists cannot withhold medications from patients who need them. Refusing to provide medications based on race or gender is a considerably more serious violation of rights protected under the State and Federal Constitutions.

In typical Republican, “why-do-I-have-to-work-for-living,” fashion, these four fools have filed a nuisance law suit against their employer, seeking massive damages for “violating their religious rights.” Evidently one of the tenants of their “religion” involves a requirement to reduce women’s access to medicine. I guess they must be Restorationists.

5 Thoughts:

Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I saw this post yesterday and didn't comment but I can't help myself. If a person can't do their job they should get a different job. How many people have they made suffer due to their moral outrage?

Monday, December 12, 2005 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger Demotiki said...

It's like a Christian Scientist working at a blood bank . . . "excuse me, I can't take your blood, it goes against my religious faith;" or a Mormon bar tender "sorry, I can't serve liquor;" or an orthodox Jew working at the deli counter, “any hams except those made with pork.” It’s all so silly.

At the root of all this is a strong psychological need on the part of many white (often male) Christians to feel victimized. Although they are at the top of society, and members of the dominant religious faith, they need to feel like victims. I guess the story of Christ is a little heavy on the persecution thing, and without feeling persecuted themselves, they find it difficult to understand Jesus.

Take the whole “war on Christmas” thing. I am an atheist, if anyone should feel victimized this time of year it’s me. I have to go out and get presents for all of these people to celebrate the birth of a man I would rather not recognize as the “son of God.” Do I complain? No, because I am not a 5-year-old. I endure constant in-your-face marketing and try to share with my fellow man what is left of the Christmas “spirit” once Wal-Mart and Target have had their way with it.

The whole point of this war on Christmas shit is a shameless attempt by Rove and Co. to make political hay out of Jesus’ birthday. If anything shows the contempt they have for true believers, it’s this. Jesus, after all, was a Democrat.

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I'm not sure I'm 100% on board with the theory about people wanting to feel victimized. I'd be more inclined to say that so many male dominated cultures and religions are determined to oppress/suppress women in any way they can.

However, the whole Christmas kerfuffle is something I can relate to. I try to remain true to the spirit of kindness and generosity that still exists in the human race and not get sucked into either the religious zeal or the commercial aspects.
For years I really drew back from the Christmas hubub since I'm not a member of any particular religion. Now that I have little kids I have to get involved and try to enjoy their wonder and joy, teach them the story of Christmas that they hear about in school and all over the media, talk about the pagan history of christmas, learn with them about yuletide traditions through out human history, and continuously weave a thick web of lies and magic about Santa. :-)

Its kind of fun actually. I try to respect peoples' religious beliefs and keep an open mind. I don't lecture to my kids about Christian holidays because its outside my belief system. My main focus for them is that they learn to be open to all the diversity in the world and make up their own minds about things. I hope that open, learned minds will have a future on this planet after I'm gone. (Some days I wonder if there will still be a planet far into the future but that's another topic altogether. )

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 1:11:00 PM  
Blogger Demotiki said...

I think you are right, Christmas should be about family. I feel that way about religion in general. When it's confined to the household it can contribute, when it's used as an excuse for harming others, then it's not so pretty. I don’t really believe that Christ hated gays or other marginal groups; I think that’s a Republican thing.

I am really enjoying Christmas this year, with my son and my sister's two little boys. It's a wonderful tradition, even though we are all atheists. I don't think you have to believe all of that humbug about Christ being the "son of God" to appreciate or even to follow his philosophy. In fact, those Americans who claim to be "true believers," often don't understand Christ's compassion and his love. The lesson of the Bible isn't "do unto others before they do unto you." Organized religion in America is pretty disappointing, it's all big business these days - money, money, money. Have you ever seen one of those mega-Churches? I watched one the tube the other day, all the guy talked about was "productivity" and "financial gain." It sounded like a corporate seminar. There was very little actual spiritual content, just get rich quick schemes. The church itself was a civic center of some sort, with flashing lights and a powerful sound system. It was just about as far from Jesus as you can get.

I hope there is a real spiritual awakening in our country. This phony religion / political movement that Republicans claim to have invented is nothing by snake oil. If they were for real, we wouldn’t be in Iraq, New Orleans would still exist and half of the Republicans elected to office would be in jail. Do you think Tom Delay would ever humble himself? The man you said “I am the Federal Government.” I don’t think so.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Demo.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 8:15:00 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Thank you Demo. You too.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home