Wednesday, December 07, 2005

BBC NEWS | Americas | Passenger shot on Florida plane

I'd be very interested to see whether:

1. This guy actually turns out to have had a bomb;
2. If so, why he wanted to blow up the plane;
3. Whether that has anything to do with Iraq, or is fallout from the drug war in Colombia.

We shall see.

Not that I actually believe this to be the case here, but if this suspect is locked down Gitmo-style with no contact with anyone, how could anyone tell whether or not this event was real or staged?

Answer: You couldn't.

Point: That's why you have due process and checks and balances. I wonder whether we'll find out, as they did in Britain, that this person was wrongfully shot (if that turns out to be the case -- and, again, I have no idea whether or not it is or will be).

5 Thoughts:

Blogger Doug said...

Well, he's dead now, and didn't have a bomb -- just claimed to. Or at least that's what's being claimed.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 3:38:00 PM  
Blogger Watch 'n Wait said...

The man was bi-polar and off his meds, his wife said. He was screaming as he ran down the aisle and down the steps that he had a bomb. Fed Marshalls yelled for him to stop and lay flat on the ground. Instead, he started reaching into his bag, at which point they shot and killed him. A sad event all around.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Hi, watch 'n wait -- thanks for coming by. Yes, I saw that -- pretty sad.

I have to say that given my opinion of Homeland Security, post-Katrina, and the absymal level of trust I have for the Bush admin, I wonder whether that is what happened. If "regular citizens" say it was so -- and I think whomever was travelling with him did say this -- then, fine, I accept it.

Feel free to stop by!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 7:30:00 PM  
Blogger Demotiki said...

Doug,

As much as I agree with you about the complete lack of credibility this administration has, I don't think they were involved in the particular incident. It was just a random tragic event. Should the officer have listened to the man's wife? I don't think so, she might have been involved. On the other hand, why would a terrorist have screamed "I have a bomb?" Although I have no real experience in bombing things, I would have to guess that telling the authorities that you have a bomb is counter-productive. The fact that this fellow was on an empty tarmac is also meaningful. Who would he have hurt if he really did have a bomb? Also, couldn't they have shot him in a way that would have disabled him without killing him? Still, I find it hard to blame the officers, they are just doing what they were trained to do. The question is whether they were trained correctly.

Friday, December 09, 2005 7:04:00 PM  
Blogger pawlr said...

Actually, it turns out that not a single passenger actually heard this guy say he 'had a bomb'. This is just another example of trigger-happy authorities making shit up after the fact, a la what happened on the London Tube.

All we have to fear is fear itself. Think about it.

Friday, December 09, 2005 9:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home