Tuesday, November 29, 2005

You Must Watch This

Zep turned me onto this wonderful three part documentary by Peter Oborne, political editor of the Spectator. I have only had time to watch the first episode, but I must recommend it to all of you.

He does a great job of explaining the political arrangements that have been struck with local militia. Although our “understandings” with El Sadr have dramatically reduced casualties, it has the unfortunate effect of crippling the freedoms of the people living under his rule. Women in particular suffer, as do ethnic and religious minorities and former Bath party members. El Sadr’s death squads have helped him to consolidate power in the areas under his control, and although he killed many of our boys, and is wanted for the murder of a political opponent, he can’t be arrested.

Osborne's documentary is really just good and timely journalism. Based on the events he covers, I don't think he filed this more than a week or two after adding the latest video. The low production quality lends credence to his reportage which is extensive, on-point and insightful. Check it out.

2 Thoughts:

Blogger Doug said...

How do I get this? I'm bittorrentless.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:23:00 AM  
Blogger Demotiki said...

Doug,

Send me your P.O. Box Address and I'll send some DVDs that I know will work on your tv, even though our past attempts failed, this time it will work.

Andrew

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home