Saturday, November 19, 2005

"Law and Morality," Jurgen Habermas

PDF. Demo, you especially might be interested in this.

Allen, check this out -- one lecture on legal legitimacy (was Weber right that law is simply a means of power domination?); one lecture on the idea of the rule of law, and on what the law can be based given the demise of natural law.

60 pages; worth it and interesting and germane to our discussions. Again, I'd suggest John Rawls' A Theory of Justice, which, when I read parts of it back in my ethics class in college (and re-read parts of it recently), was framed as a hybridization and reconciliation of Mill and Kant, of utility and the categorical imperative (or, if you like, majority rule and minority [including individual] rights). I linked to the revised edition -- he responded to critiques since the 1971 edition with elaborations and changes in this 1999 edition.

4 Thoughts:

Blogger A.T. said...

60 pages! Doug, you're killing me here, my man.

I'll be honest, chances are slim that I'll read this. If there's a two-page section that you think is particularly pertinent to a debate we've been having, I'll commit to reading that.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

OK; fair enough! I haven't finished reading it, but I'll write a summary for the blog that'll be quick and easy.

I'm getting into Habermas, and not just because he's Gore's favorite philosopher.

For now, though, I think I can entice you with this 8-page essay, "Faith and Knowledge -- An Opening," a speech from 10/14/01 which I also haven't read yet (deadlines) but which on a skim seems to be apt and amenable.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger pawlr said...

Read "Faith & Knowledge" - very interesting. Habermas seems to be a rarity - an intellectual who can actually express himself clearly. Will definately check out the 60 pager now.

Regarding his dialectic between "replacement" and "expropriative" models of secularization, he says this:

"And most of all, this too-narrow view overlooks the civilizing role of democratically enlightened common sense, which proceeds along its own track as an equal third partner amid the murmurs of cultural conflict between science and religion."

Just to pat ourselves on the back a little - I think the discourses here lately have done a lot to strengthen this "third track" for our little cross-community. Consensus may be hard to come by here but it seems we have built a noticible stockpile of mutual respect for each other and at least a commitment to paying attention.

Sunday, November 20, 2005 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Demotiki said...

Doug,

I'll read it over Turkey break. You should read that Odem bit I linked to.

Demo

Sunday, November 20, 2005 10:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home