Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Hackett on Ed Schultz

An .mp3 of the broadcast. Notable quotes:


"A friend of mine in my unit mentioned this to me over the weekend, he's a police chief in a small town out west. He said 'What we're asking the military to do in Iraq is analogous to asking beat cops who are walking a beat in New York to bust the mob'. That rung a bell with me, because the administration undersupports them, and they're asking them to accomplish huge things without the numbers, without the support. We got an administration that wants to cut taxes while we're waging three wars across the world. Tell me how that's patriotism?"


On Limbaugh saying Hackett went to Iraq "to pad his resume":


"That's typical for that fatass drug addict to come up with something like that. When I was on drill this weekend, I can tell you he lost a lot of Republican supporters with his comments. People were coming up to me, telling me, 'I can't believe he said that! And besides that, he called you a soldier, he doesn't even know the difference between a soldier and a marine!'. So generally the consensus is that Rush doesn't know squat about patriotism. Typical of lots of the 'new republicans' he's got a lot of lip but he doesn't walk the walk. I think its indicative of today's Republican Party, which is 'Patriotic Lite'. Anybody who truly serves their country demonstrates it by their actions instead of by their flapping gums.

Ask Rush why he wasn't taking phone calls for the two days that he was on the attack with me. Ask him why his phone was clogged up, because he was getting thousands of calls from veterans of this war and other wars, who were calling up to give him an earful. A number of folks in my unit tried to call in and were dropped when they said 'Hey, we're calling to tell ya what Major Hackett was doing; Major Hackett was in Fallujah, he was in Ramadi, we were getting shot at' -- these are guys who outrank me, who certainly have no need to suck up to me."


Refreshing. Not sure if I agree with some of his other political stances (on gun control, etc) but its nice to have a candidate that doesn't mince words. Imagine if Kerry had taken this approach...

1 Thoughts:

Blogger Demotiki said...

Yeah, I heard that quote from gas-bad Limbaugh. I also caught Hackett on Ed Schultz and was impressed. I happen to agree with his gun-control stance and I think many American, particularly in the American Southwest, agree as well. The problem isn't with the availabilty of guns (Canada has as many guns an far less gun violence). Anyway, having guns protects us from the government - ask any Iraqi and they'll tell you the same thing.

Friday, August 12, 2005 12:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home