Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Very Workable Protest Movement: Drive 55!

I'm sure someone else has thought of this, but I don't know of it. I say we all drive 55, regardless of the max speed limit. I've been doing it ever since I got the Prius.

I'm going to create a bumper sticker and put it in my back window: "Conserve Oil--Avoid Wars--Drive 55" or something to that effect. Or: "How many deaths are worth getting there 4 minutes early? Drive 55." Whatever; you get the idea. I encourage y'all to do the same.

Air drag ceases to be a linear function at around 30-35 mph, so my physics/engineering friends tell me. My Prius dashboard agrees; the difference in gas consumption is not at all linear between 55 and 65, let alone the 70-75 you see most drive at, mostly unticketed.

Spread it around! This is the kind of movement that can start from nowhere (i.e., this blog), and spread like wildfire through e-mail-based "viral marketing" as well as bumper-sticker advertising.

Another idea: "Screw the Oil Companies--Conserve Gas and Increase Supply--Drive 55."

Would love to see other ideas for bumper stickers! You can get these made and printed and mailed to you online for dirt cheap.

As Belushi once said, "Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?...Let's do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!" :)

1 Thoughts:

Blogger Demotiki said...

I agree with Doug. The reason Carter reduced the speed limit to 55 was to reduce energy consumption. As a trained scientist, it was obvious to him that this step would have an immediate effect on lowering gasoline consumption. By the way, it also saved tens of thousands of lives. I'll be riding in the slow lane, although I am rarely on the highway.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home